- Smile 😊 Smiling makes you seem happier and more confident, which draws people to you.
Compliment the person 👍 This shows that you are kind and take the time to notice important things about other people that make them feel good. Even something as simple as “I like your shirt!” can go a long way.
- Sit with them at lunch 🍕 Having lunch with someone provides a casual setting to start a longer conversation. First ask if you can sit with them, then you can ask what they’re having for lunch, what their favorite food is, what teachers they like, etc!
- Join a sport or club ⚽ One of the easiest ways to meet new people! Not only do you get to do something fun like playing soccer or making art, you get to meet people from other classes and schools.
- Ask them what they’re interested in 🏄 Everyone loves to talk about what they do and like, and this is a great way to find a common interest. Maybe you both love hiking and dogs!
- Invite them to do something 👯 Hanging out outside of school or sports lets you get to know the person better. Pick a fun and memorable activity that you will both enjoy, like a nature hike or going to see the dogs at the animal shelter!
- Keep in touch ☎ Following up after hanging out is necessary in continuing the friendship. Say hi and have a conversation with them at school, or shoot them a “Hey! What’s up?” text once a day.
- And remember – don’t be afraid of rejection 🙅 If someone is continuously making excuses to not hang out or being outwardly unfriendly, don’t take it personally. You don’t need to be friends with mean or rude people, and they are missing out on the chance to hang out with someone as awesome as you. There are many different kinds of people and you do not have to be friends with all of them. Focus your energy and attention on other potential friendships!